HEMPFIELD ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (HEP)
The Hempfield Enrichment Program (HEP) is provided to students who qualify for gifted services in grades K-12. Students are referred for evaluation through the district’s mass screening process, teachers and/or parents. Parents who wish to have their child evaluated for the gifted program need to submit a written request to the building principal or guidance counselor.
Mentally Gifted is defined as outstanding intellectual and creative ability development of which requires specially designed programs or support services, or both, not ordinarily provided in the regular education program. This term includes a person who has an IQ of 130 or higher and when multiple criteria as set forth in the Pennsylvania Department of Education Guidelines indicate gifted ability. Determination of gifted ability will not be based on IQ score alone. A person with an IQ score lower than 130 may be admitted to gifted programs when other educational criteria in the profile of the person strongly indicate gifted ability.
Multiple criteria indicating gifted ability include:
· A year or more above grade achievement level for the normal age group in one or more subjects as measured by nationally normed and validated achievement tests.
· An observed or measured rate of acquisition/retention of new academic content or skills that reflect gifted ability.
· Demonstrated achievement, performance, or expertise in one or more academic areas as evidenced by excellence of products, portfolio or research, as well as criterion-referenced team judgment.
· Early and measured use of high-level thinking skills, academic creativity, leadership skills, intense academic interest areas, communications skills, foreign language aptitude or technology expertise.
· Documented, observed, validated or assessed evidence that intervening factors such as English as a second language, learning disability, physical impairment, emotional disability, gender or race bias, or socio/cultural deprivation are masking gifted abilities.
If you believe your high school student is in need of gifted services, please contact your child’s guidance counselor to request information about the program. You may also contact Carol Staines, Gifted Coordinator/Department Chairperson, at 724-850-2080 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the following enrichment activities;
Chain Reactioin Contraption
DOE Science Bowl
Job shadowing at Excela Health
PSAT prep - math